Phising e-mail from YouSee right after becoming a customer

Badge

I became a customer of YouSee 2-3 weeks ago.

Last week, i received a very convincing phising e-mail. I almost fell for it.

The timing is very suspicious, since I have never received a phising mail from YouSee before, but this one arrived a couple of days after the deadline for the 1st bill. 

This is super targeted to be random.

It definitely looks like a potential leak of the customer database. I would recommend starting an investigation, possibly for internal actors.

I hope this helps protecting fellow customers.

8 Kommentarer

Omdømme 7
Badge +9

Mails like that are recived quite often, even non customers recive false Mails from Someone posing to be You See. As You can see, the sender mail adresse is not You See.

Mails like that are very difficult/impossible to stop.

Badge

It is very suspicious that the 1st time I received it was right after the 1st bill’s deadline.

I agree, it is very difficult/impossible to stop mails like this. Protecting the customer information, though, is not!

Omdømme 7
Badge +9

As I wrote, Mails like that are also sent to non customers, så it’s not a You See problem, it’s your Mail adresse they pick up, and then use it to send false Mails in the Hope that there are stupid pepole who dont know what they are paying for.

Badge

I find it very suspicious that they picked up my e-mail only after I signed up in YouSee.

If it was random, as you say, why they phish was for YouSee specifically? It's like they knew I have a subscription, right when I made a subscription.

Somethings stinks here. Badly. 

Omdømme 7
Badge +9

When it’s possible to Hack Pentagon, CIA, NSA, FBI and so on then it’s no problem to get hold of Email adresses, they are used every day, and once they are out there the “right” pepole can easy obtain them.

There is a lot of spam Mails send out from all over the World from and to mail adresses that has been picked up to be used for phising and other shady purposes.

Also another metod is to spoof legit Telephone numbers and send out false SMS pretending to be from a legit Company like You See.

It happens all the time, all one can do is to be carefull.

Badge

In this case, it is very clear that some very specific information were leaked. 

First of all my email address, but email addresses are getting leaked all the time, even though mine has not really been "out there" until now. 

Secondly, the fact that I just became customer of YouSee seems to have leaked. Simultaneously with my address. There are very limited amount of ways that such a combo can happen. 

I didn't receive a phish pretending to be from Telenor, Lebara, Telia, or any other company. Only YouSee, right after I signed up. The possibility that this is "just" a coincidence is very low.

It wouldn't hurt assuming responsibility and investigating this... I'm sorry, but it's just not that complicated and no amount of victim blaming can justify shrinking responsibility.

But are you @Radiomanden related to YouSee or just an internet troll? 

Omdømme 7
Badge +9

But are you @Radiomanden related to YouSee or just an internet troll? 

No and no.

Omdømme 2
Badge +3

Hi @Michalis 

Unfortunately, we are increasingly experiencing someone pretending to be YouSee and sending one or another type of scam/phishing email or text message - we do everything we can from our end to stop it, and recommend that you simply delete the email/text message.

You can read more about phishing, and our advice and recommendations on our website here: https://yousee.dk/hjaelp/artikler/online-trusler-og-bestelltkeit/trusler/phishing

In addition, we recommend everyone to download the ‘Mit Digitale Selvforsvar’-appen, which can help identify these scam emails and keep you updated if there are new ones coming.  

You can read more about the app, and download it, on the page here: https://taenk.dk/om-os/mit-digitale-selvforsvar

Besvar