Svar

WiFi - Invisible to new PC's

• Deltager
  • 2 kommentarer
Hi, I have been trying to connect a PC to my existing WiFi network. This PC was rebuilt recently and has been connected before the rebuild.

Unfortunately my SSID can not be seen by the PC anymore. I have tested the PC on other WiFi connections which works fine. It seems that only previously registered hardware can see my SSID incl. Phones etc.

Apart from checking the PC drivers and setup I also checked my Netgear router to make sure that the SSID Broadcast settings are switched on for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi. I have rebooted the router several times and removed power etc.

At one point a YouSee techie reset the router remotely. While it was rebooting the SSID became visible for a short time but when I tried to connect, I got an error message about being unable to connect and the SSID disappeared from my list of available networks again.
I have also checked the access and deny lists on the router but they are not set and have never been used.

Is there another setting on the router that may prevent new hardware connecting?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
icon

Bedste svar af Slangefar 10 april 2017, 09:59

I guess you have tried switching to another wifi channel. On wifi there is a lot of noise from eg old bluetooth device, burglar alarms, heating systems, wirelesss keyboards/mouse, baby monitors.

Sometime wifi devices don't mix. There are so many combinations of speeds, cryptation etc. and the vendors don't always agree on the wifi standards. In our home I had to only use only AES cryptation for all wifi devices to get access to the router, and I reduced the maximum speed a bit to get a more reliable wifi.

Se original

4 Kommentarer

Omdømme 7
Badge +7
I guess you have tried switching to another wifi channel. On wifi there is a lot of noise from eg old bluetooth device, burglar alarms, heating systems, wirelesss keyboards/mouse, baby monitors.

Sometime wifi devices don't mix. There are so many combinations of speeds, cryptation etc. and the vendors don't always agree on the wifi standards. In our home I had to only use only AES cryptation for all wifi devices to get access to the router, and I reduced the maximum speed a bit to get a more reliable wifi.
I will give it a try. I did notice I am sharing a wifi channel with two other networks.
Thx for the advice.
Omdømme 7
Badge +7
If you live in an apartment and use 2,4 GHz it may be hard to get a free channel. You may try 5GHz if your router and devices is able to use it. Bare in mind 5 GHz don't have same range as 2,4 GHz.

Try not only AES and reduced speed. It worked in my home. Something else may work in your home.
Hi Slangefar, changing wifi channels worked like a charm. I am a still little surprised that it made a difference but there you go, one for experience. I also had a HDAudio driver that failed to load and didn't find a workable solution on Intel's or HP's homepages. It turned out that removing the Intel driver update utility solved that problem. As soon as it was uninstalled, Windows found the correct driver automatically which is odd because I loaded the update utility to find it in the first place. Ours is not to reason why!

Many thanks for your prompt response and good advice.

Besvar

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)